Flip Learning is pleased to announce the second edition of Davis W. Houck’s Public Speaking in the 21st Century, a smart, funny, and exciting interactive textbook featuring:
– Scripted video series for each chapter starring student actors.
– Original animations about the Ancient Greeks.
– Auto-graded quizzes at the end of each chapter and auto-scored activities including McCroskey’s PRPSA survey.
– 50+ sample student speech excerpts and full speeches embedded both within the text and in a separate video library.
– 100+ annually updated hyperlinks that direct students to important primary and secondary online research materials.
– Detailed PowerPoint slides and Prezis for each chapter.
Follow Laura, her roommates, an impassioned T.A., and a host of other characters as they navigate their way through public speaking. Read along as Aristotle gets a uniquely American update and the Sophists at last get their pedagogical say. Watch as YouTube and other web-based digital content gets leveraged for illustrative effect. And perhaps best of all, know that our dynamic platform is always ready to be customized to reflect your own needs as a teacher of this ancient (and harrowing) art. Equal parts book, film, animation, and always interactive, this “textbook experience” will have your students talking, your lectures popping, and the world of public speaking recalibrated and re-engineered for today’s students.
Public Speaking in the 21st Century is published by Flip Learning, a small and independent company dedicated to publishing “page-turning” textbooks written by renowned scholars who are also recipients of significant undergraduate teaching awards.
New Content in Public Speaking in the 21st Century “2.0”Available in February 2019
- Updates on how to spot “fake news” and questionable sources.
- Updated popular culture examples and current event-driven public speeches across every chapter.
- Extended analysis of Parkland High School graduate Emma González’s speech at the Broward County Courthouse on February 17, 2018.
- Brief documentary film highlighting how college student Carly Hellstrom turned public speaking into public policy activism to ultimately change Florida’s “revenge pornography” laws.
- New coverage of computer-mediated platforms and best practices for public speaking using tools such as Zoom, Skype, and Google Hangouts.
- New and updated links to videos and content, visuals, and quiz questions throughout the text.
- 978-1-7327075-6-6 – Digital-only
$60.00 (Bookstore Wholesale), $60.00 (Suggested Retail)
- 978-1-7327075-7-3 – Spiral-bound/Digital Bundle
$63.75 (Bookstore Wholesale), $75.00 (Suggested Retail)
Student Testimonials“I enjoyed the online textbook because it was convenient and easy to access. I already have enough textbooks in my desk so it was a nice change of pace to be able to access the text through my computer. Also, the platform was very simple to understand. All of the chapters contained information that related back to real-world situations, making the text more interesting to read.”
“What I liked about the platform is how interactive it is. It helped me read actively with the different links and videos throughout and the flipped activities allowed us to connect with both fellow students in the section and yourself. I also really enjoyed how the book is written and the familiarity it invites. It felt more like I was in class, speaking to a real professor rather than reading chapters of a textbook. The anecdotal stories and videos also made the book come alive and made it more relatable for myself as a student going through the class.”
Instructor Testimonials“The platform that Flip Learning has developed goes beyond what any traditional textbook is able to offer. Built uniquely for the web, students can complete readings, quizzes, and activities straight from their personal technology devices – eschewing the need for a physical (and not to mention expensive) text. The Flip Learning site also offers high quality production videos (a narrative series, actually) that accompany each chapter, giving students a primer on the material to come. This combination has resonated with my students – many come to class and say they were impacted by the videos and that they helped them understand the practical applications of the chapter material. Students have told me the navigation is intuitive and that they appreciate how the text prompts them with the associated activities and quizzes through links embedded in each chapter. This has led to greater participation, more meaningful participation, and a clearer channel of communication with regards to grades.”
– Stephen Andon, Nova Southeastern University
“We really needed to find an affordable text solution that our students would actually read…. The text is accessible to students and many comment on actually enjoying the reading. It’s also affordable, which is a huge deal at our institution.”
– Emily Anzicek, Bowling Green State University
Company Mission & Call for AuthorsLearning, just like life, is animated by curiosity, passion, and good conversation. Great teachers awaken students’ imagination and intellect by modeling these elements of a well-lived life in their daily profession, exhorting students to grow. Great books aid the process.
Textbooks should do the same. Yet students often greet them with resistance, complaining about their dry tone, lack of narrative interest, and high prices.
Our mission is to create textbooks that are “page-turners” – books so readable and relatable that students won’t want to put them down.
We’ve partnered with renowned scholars who are also recipients of undergraduate teaching awards to write our textbooks. Inspirational teachers ignite learning, and by translating that art into textbook form, we’re confident your students will be more curious and exuberant, leading them to greater mastery of your subjects.
Flip Learning wishes to partner with prospective authors who share this philosophy and are eager to unveil a creative, inspiring, and unique authorial voice that is often discouraged through traditional academic scholarship. For inquiries, please contact Co-Founder Chris Spielvogel (email@example.com).